Friday, August 12, 2011

Eatables - Banana Bread

Banana Bread

I had a bunch of over-ripe bananas hanging around, so I made some banana bread to use them up. This is one of the two loaves I made. I did a toothpick test before I took it out of the oven, but as you can see, it apparently wasn't quite done and the top center fell as it cooled.


Banana Bread

I am not a fan of nuts, so I left those out. Overall, I thought it turned out pretty tasty. If I were to make this recipe again, I would cut down on the oil. The recipe calls for a whole cup, and the bread just didn't need that much.

Recipe after the jump.

Banana Nut Bread (yields two loaves):

My aunt suggested this recipe, which she got from the Garland's Lodge (garlandslodge.com) cookbook.

6 ripe bananas, cut into one-inch slices (I only had 4 bananas, so that's what I used)
2 1/2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup canola oil
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup finely chopped nuts, toasted (I omitted these)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine the bananas and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle. (I don't have a stand mixer or a paddle attachment, so I just used a regular hand mixer.) Beat on medium speed very well, for about 2 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well. Add the oil.

Whisk together the flour, salt, and baking soda, taking care to mix the soda in completely. Stir into the banana mixture, mixing well. Fold in the chopped nuts.

Coat two 9 x 5 in. loaf pans with cooking spray (I used Crisco) and dust lightly with flour. Divide the batter between the pans and bake in 350 degree oven for 50-60 minutes. Cool 30 minutes before slicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment